Approx. 2 1/4 cup per pound.
Organic lima beans are an often forgotten about bean. Many people have never tried them. If that is you, we highly recommend you try our lima beans and the recipe below. Besides being delicious, organic lima beans are also high in a wide variety of minerals and vitamins. They are great sources of copper, manganese, folate, iron and cholesterol-improving fiber. Lima beans are a great addition to many western diets because they promote heart health, produce energy and help stabilize blood sugar levels.
SIMPLE LIMA BEAN SIDE
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup dry lima beans
- 1/2 diced dried carrot
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning blend (consisting mainly of basil, oregano, rosemary, and thyme)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a medium frying pan, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat.
- Sauté the onions for 2 minutes, then add the garlic and turmeric. Continue to sauté until the onions are soft and translucent. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Add the lima beans, sautéed onions and garlic, carrot, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer (covered) for 40 minutes until the lima beans are soft and tender. If the beans are still hard, continue to cook and check every 5-10 minutes until the beans are soft and tender.
- Turn off the heat and set the saucepan aside for 20 minutes (still covered).
- Reheat for serving. Add more salt, pepper or Italian seasoning to taste.