- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, lightly crushed with the side of a knife blade and minced
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, stem and seeds removed and small diced
- 1 pound of red kidney beans
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup white rice (can use any kind of rice)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro leaves
· Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in large saucepan.
· Sauté, garlic, onion, celery, and bell pepper until tender.
· Stir in kidney beans (if dry, soak prior to using), onion powder, salt, pepper and hot sauce.
· Reduce heat to low and let simmer.
· Bring chicken stock to a boil.
· Stir in rice and butter, return to boil.
· Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 20 minutes without removing lid.
· Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
· Gently mix rice and beans together and transfer to serving dish.
· Serve garnished with cilantro.